Utilization of big data to improve management of the emergency departments. Results of a systematic review
- Department of Public Health and Infectious Diseases, Sapienza University of Rome
- Department of Molecular Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome
Literature search and eligibility criteria
Data collection and analysis
Management of ED visits
Emergency Department process and activities
Prediction of the outcome of Emergency Department patients.
Figure 1. Flow diagram for selection of studies included in the Systematic Review
Table 1. Summary characteristics of the studies included in the systematic review
- Perry DC, Parsons N, Costa ML. ‘Big Data’ reporting guidelines: how to answer big questions, yet avoid big problems. Bone joint J 2014;96-b(12): 1575-7.
- McAfee A, Brynjolfsson E. Big data: the management revolution. Harv Bus Rev 2012 Oct;90(10):60-6, 68, 128.
- Heudecker N. Hype Cycle for Big Data. Gartner. 2013 Jul 31. URL:https://www.gartner.com/doc/2574616/ hype-cycle-big-data-.
- May M. Big biological impacts from big data. Science, 344 (2014), pp. 1298–1300.
- Kayyali B, Knott D, Van Kuiken S. The big-data revolution in US health care: accelerating value and innovation. McKinsey & Company. 2013 Apr. URL: https://digitalstrategy.nl/wp-content/uploads/E2-2013
- Cate F.H The big data debate Science, 346 (2014), p. 818.
- Hillestad R, Bigelow J, Bower A, Girosi F, Meili R, Scoville R, et al. Can electronic medical record systems transform health care? Potential health benefits, savings, and costs. Health Aff (Millwood) 2005;24(5):1103-1117.
- Wong, H.T. Biometeorological Modelling and Forecasting of Ambulance Demand for Hong Kong: A Spatio-Temporal Approach. Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China, February 2012.
- Janke AT, Overbeek DL, Kocher KE, Levy PD. Exploring the potential of predictive analytics and Big Data in Emergency Care. Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Feb;67(2):227-36.
- Araz OM., Bentley D., Muelleman RL. Using Google Flu Trends data in forecasting influenza-like-illness related ED visits in Omaha, Nebraska. Am J Emerg Med, 2014; Sep;32(9):1016-23.
- Ram S., Zhang W., Williams M., Pengetnze Y. Predicting Asthma-Related Emergency Department Visits Using Big Data. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform, 2015; Jul;19(4):1216-23.
- Scales CD. Jr., Lin L., Saigal CS., Bennett CJ., Ponce NA., Mangione CM., Litwin MS. Emergency department revisits for patients with kidney stones in California. Acad Emerg Med, 2015; Apr;22(4):468-74.
- Chong M.,Wang, M., Lai1 X., et al. Patient Flow Evaluation with System Dynamic Model in an Emergency Department. IEEE International Congress on Big Data, 2015; New York.
- Kuo Y-H., Leung J. M.Y., Tsoi K.K.F., Meng H. M., Graham C.A. Embracing Big Data for Simulation Modelling of Emergency Department Processes and Activities. IEEE International Congress on Big Data, 2015; New York.
- Bruballa E., Taboada M., Cabrera E., Rexachs D., Luque E. Simulation and Big Data: A Way to Discover Unusual Knowledge in Emergency Departments. International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud, 2014; Barcellona.
- Yang S., Njoku M., Mackenzie CF. ‘Big data’ approaches to trauma outcome prediction and autonomous resuscitation. British Journal of Hospital Medicine, 2014; Nov;75(11):637-41.
- Taylor R.A., Pare JR., Venkatesh A.K., Mowafi H., Melnick E.R., Fleischman W., Hall M.K. Prediction of In-hospital Mortality in Emergency Department Patients With Sepsis: A Local Big Data-Driven, Machine Learning Approach. Acad Emerg Med, 2016; Mar;23(3):269-78.
- Kamal N, Addressing Emergency Department overcrowding through a systems approach using big data research. Journal of Health & Medical Informatics. 2014; 5(1) 148.
- Derose SF, Gabayan GZ, Chiu VY, Yiu SC, Sun BC. Emergency Department Crowding Predicts Admission Length-of-Stay But Not Mortality in a Large Health System. Medical care. 2014;52(7):602-611.
- Guttmann A, Schull MJ, Vermeulen MJ, et al. Association between waiting times and short term mortality and hospital admission after departure from emergency department: population based cohort study from Ontario, Canada. BMJ. 2011;342.
- Miro O, Antonio MT, Jimenez S, et al. Decreased health care quality associated with emergency department overcrowding. Eur J Emerg Med. 1999;6:105–107.
- Sun BC, Hsia RY, Weiss RE, et al. Effect of Emergency Department crowding on outcomes of admitted patients. Ann Emerg Med. 2013;61:605–611.
- Chalfin DB, Trzeciak S, Likourezos A, et al. Impact of delayed transfer of critically ill patients from the emergency department to the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med. 2007;35:1477–1483.
- Pines JM, Decker SL, Hu T. Exogenous predictors of national performance measures for emergency department crowding. Ann Emerg Med. 2012;60:293–298.
- Kruse CS et al challenges and opportunities of big data in health care: a systematic review. JMIR Med Inform. 2016 Nov 21;4(4):e38.
- Janke AT et al. Exploring the potential of predictive analytics and big data in emergency care Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Feb;67(2):227-36.
- Lazer D et al. The parable of google flu: traps in big data analysis.
- Available at: https://research.googleblog.com/2015/08/the-next-chapter-for-flu-trends.html
- Binder H et al. Big data in medical science – a biostatistical view. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2015 Feb; 112(9): 137–142.
- Coveney PV, Big data need big theory too. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2016 Nov 13; 374(2080): 20160153.
- Bates DW, Big data in health care: using analytics to identify and manage high-risk and high-cost patients. Health Affairs, 2014; Jul;33(7):1123-31.