Measures of diagnostic accuracy and clinical usefulness. Epidemiological methodologies applied to the use of lung ultasound among heart failure patients
- Residency Program in Emergency Medicine, University of Turin
- PhD Program in Experimental Medicine and Therapy, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Turin
- Cancer Epidemiology Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Turin
- Emergency Medicine Division, AOU Città della Salute e della Scienza di Torino
- Deparment of Medical Sciences, University of Turin
Materials and methods
The diagnostic accuracy and clinical usefulness of a diagnostic tool could be expressed in several different ways. Although several methods have been proposed, AUC is the most reported measure of accuracy. Despite a widespread use of AUC, NRI and NBs might be more informative, in particular for understanding the usefulness of a diagnostic tool.
- Redfield MM. Heart Failure — An Epidemic of Uncertain Proportions. N Engl J Med. 2002 Oct 31;347(18):1442–4.
- Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JGF, Coats AJS, et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J. 2016;37(27):2129–2200m.
- Parshall MB, Schwartzstein RM, Adams L, Banzett RB, Manning HL, Bourbeau J, et al. An official American thoracic society statement: Update on the mechanisms, assessment, and management of dyspnea. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012;185(4):435–52.
- Ambrosino N, Serradori M. Determining the cause of dyspnoea: linguistic and biological descriptors. Chron Respir Dis. 2006;3(3):117–22.
- Moore CL CJ. Point-of-care ultrasonography. N Engl J Med. 2011;364(8):749–57.
- Pivetta E, Goffi A, Lupia E, Tizzani M, Porrino G, Ferreri E, et al. Lung ultrasound-implemented diagnosis of acute decompensated heart failure in the ED: A SIMEU multicenter study. Chest. 2015;148(1):202–10.
- Martindale JL. Resolution of sonographic B-lines as a measure of pulmonary decongestion in acute heart failure. Am J Emerg Med. 2016;34(6):1129–32.
- Volpicelli G, Elbarbary M, Blaivas M, Lichtenstein DA, Mathis G, Kirkpatrick AW, et al. International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound. Intensive Care Med. 2012;38(4):577–91.
- MS P. The Statistical Evaluation of Medical Tests for Classification and Prediction. New York: Oxford University Press; 2004. 302 p.
- Ruopp MD, Perkins NJ, Whitcomb BW, Schisterman EF. Youden Index and optimal cut-point estimated from observations affected by a lower limit of detection. Biometrical J. 2008;50(3):419–30.
- Brier GW. Verification of forecasts expersses in terms of probaility. Mon Weather Rev. 1950;78(1):1–3.
- Vickers AJ. Decision analysis for the evaluation of diagnostic tests, prediction models and molecular markers. Am Stat. 2008;62(4):314–20.
- Steyerberg EW. Clinical Prediction Models: A Practical Approach to Development, Validation, and Updating. Vol. 19, Book. 2009. 500 p.
- Steyerberg EW, Pencina MJ, Lingsma HF, Kattan MW, Vickers AJ, van Calster B. Assessing the incremental value of diagnostic and prognostic markers: A review and illustration. Eur J Clin Invest. 2012;42(2):216–28.